Drones have become a necessary part of filming gear. Not only does it provide the most stunning shots a filmmaker could ask for, but it also allows you to have your creativity run free with its advanced options and countless possibilities.
Though most of the drones you’ll find on this list fall on the pricey side, we can assure you that they’re well worth the investment. These drone models are equipped with GPS to allow more stable flying and more creative functions for professional photographers. Hobbyists, on the other hand, can use these drones to document special holidays, weddings, birthday parties, and basically any event.
Note: prices are subject to change without further notice.
The Best Aerial Photography Drones
1. DJI Mavic Pro
Bundle package comes with the following:
- 2 extra batteries
- 2 extra propellers
- 1 charging hub
- 1 car charger
- 1 battery to power bank adaptor
- Shoulder bag
- 14 km/h (9 mph) flying speed
- 60% noise reduction
- ActiveTrack, TapFly, and other smart features
- Vision positioning paired with GPS and GLONASS
Don’t let the small size fool you, this little gem packs a punch. The DJI Mavic Pro is ergonomically created to contain a number of complex functions, making it one of the brand’s most sophisticated flying cameras to date. Functions include 24 high-performance computing cores, a 4.3mi flying range, 5 vision sensors, and a 4K camera stabilized by a 3-axis mechanical gimbal.
2. DJI Inspire 4K
- ZenMuse gimbal
- UHD (4K): 4096x2160p24/25, 3840x2160p24/25/30
- 12MP photographs
- Long battery life
- Vision Positioning System that allows the Inspire to hover in place while raising or lowering its arms during liftoff and descent
The Inspire is a camera drone built for professionals. The design is created with a stable platform for capturing high-quality video. Because of its advanced features and specs, drone has been commonly used in television and film productions (hence, the way up there price point).
3. GoPro Karma Drone
Bundle Package comes with the following:
- GoPro Hero6 Black
- Rechargeable 5100mAh 14.8V battery for the Karma Drone
- 20 minutes flight time
- Karma stabilizer that captures breathtaking shake-free video both in the air and on the ground
- Game-style controller for easy flying
Taking aerial shots is made easy with the GoPro Karma drone. Yes, the very first drone from the brand did go through a rough start, but after a few tweaks here, it’s finally found its place in the crowded drone market. Aside from the excellent performance of the mounted HERO5 Black action camera, the Karma Stabilizer and Karma Grip provide reliable stabilization for filming.
4. Yuneec H520
- 4K / 2K / HD Camera
- 25 minutes battery life
- 360-degree gimbal camera
- Hexacopter for better redundancy, Obstacle Avoidance, 360-degree camera
Yuneec delivers one of the most sophisticated drone models with the H520. The focal-length lenses allow the drone to fly at a greater distance from the subject, and its built-in data storage may be shared instantly through the ST16S Ground Station. Alternatively, data can be shared directly in 4K/2K/HD video or 20Mp still images.
5. U49C Red Heron Quadcopter Drone
- 120°-wide-angle 720p video drone camera
- Headless mode, low-battery, and signal alarms
- Rubber-damping camera and drone altitude hold for better HD shots
The U49C Red Heron quadcopter is the perfect drone for beginners looking to practice their aerial photography skills. It comes with a pack of extra batteries and spare motors, allowing users to double their flight time.
Watch the video below